A crowd of up to 50,000 people have marched in protest against the introduction of spending cuts and tax increases by the Government.
Thousands of people have marched on Dublin in protest against the introduction of spending cuts and tax increases by the Government.
Sunday, November 28, 2010
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
For some light harted Down With This Sort Of Thing . This is what you don't do if you miss your flight at an airport . It's not going to going to get you on the plane.
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 4:16 PM
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 4:10 PM
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 2:50 PM
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
This is the State of Dáil Éireann after the IMF Bailout . Locked up and the key thrown away . The IMF now run the country so no need Irish Government .
It really is a Crime against the State .
Lucky enough ECI Dublin arrives on the scene to investigate
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 5:24 AM
Sunday, November 21, 2010
If you can't view the clip above you can view it below
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 3:40 PM
if you are unable to see clip above you should be able to watch clip below
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 3:02 PM
If you are unable to viw clip about you should be able to view below .
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 3:00 PM
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 2:59 PM
Friday, November 19, 2010
It’s emerged that thousands of polling cards which has been printed for next Thursday’s Donegal South West by-election have had to be scrapped, because the polling times listed on them were wrong.In this time of recession and trying to save money can I ask, why in gods name rather than waste more tax payers money reprinting cards don't they just open the polling stations a half hour later 10:30 pm . Or is that against the law
Polling on November 25th is between 7am and 10pm, but the cards which have been printed said 7.30 to 10.30.
A spokesperson for the returning officer said printing the cards is a matter for Donegal County Council. So far, the council has not issued any statement.
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 7:18 AM
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
|Neil Prendeville Cork's 96 Fm|
By Conor Keane and Eoin English
AER LINGUS is in the process of making a formal complaint to gardaí following an incident in which high-profile radio presenter Neil Prendeville exposed himself in public view on a flight between London and Cork.
Mr Prendeville, 49, who presents Cork’s 96FM flagship daily morning show, was a passenger on Aer Lingus flight EI725 scheduled to leave at 10.15pm from London Heathrow to Cork on October 19 last.
As the jet taxied for take-off Mr Prendeville was seen to expose himself and masturbate as he sat in his seat. Mr Prendeville was seated in the front row of the aircraft facing two air hostesses. He was flanked by a female passenger to his right in a window seat and a male passenger to his left in an aisle seat.
When the aircraft was in the air an air hostess intervened and spoke with Mr Prendeville and the two passengers. Reports on the incident have been compiled by the crew of the Aer Lingus flight. These reports are in the possession of the airline’s head of security Mark Dunphy and form the basis of the airline’s investigation.
Yesterday, Mr Dunphy contacted the female passenger and told her that Aer Lingus has concluded its investigation. He said the airline would be making a formal complaint to gardaí.
Since the incident Mr Prendeville left a voice message on the telephone of the young woman who was sitting beside him, in which he said: "I just wanted to apologise to you for any offence that I might have caused you." He said he had no recollection of the incident and that when he was told about it he was "shocked and horrified". "I have no recollection whatsoever. I’m in shock, you know, I really am. I took some Nurofen Plus alright, I know that, for my neck. And as you know, with me anyway there was pints and wine and stuff and Jesus I don’t know where I’d begin to make it up to you," he said on the voicemail.
Prior to the incident Mr Prendeville had spent the day in London as a guest of the Cork Convention Bureau. Cork Lord Mayor Michael O’Connell, Cork county mayor Jim Daly and Cork Convention Bureau (CCB) chairman Seamus Heaney led the delegation.
Mr Prendeville was one of a number of guests of the CCB who were entertained, prior to the flight, at celebrity chef Richard Corrigan’s Bentley’s Restaurant.
Mr Prendeville’s show is the most listened-to talk show on local radio in Ireland with almost 100,000 listeners each day.
Mr Prendeville declined several attempts to comment when contacted by an Irish Examiner reporter last night.
This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, November 03, 2010
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 7:04 AM
FORMER Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has been urged to reconsider his parking arrangements outside his constituency office in Drumcondra.
On two occasions alone last week, Mr Ahern’s unoccupied State car was photographed by Northside People with all four wheels parked up on the pavement outside St Luke’s.
While most ordinary citizens would find themselves at the mercy of clampers for such a transgression, the former Fianna Fail leader appears to be immune from certain provisions of road traffic legislation on the basis that his high-end S Class Mercedes is driven by a member of the Garda Siochana.
When asked to comment on whether normal road traffic legislation applies to State cars, a spokesperson for the Department of Justice said that this was a matter for the gardai.
When contacted, the Garda Press Office stated it was unable to provide comments in matters pertaining to security.
However, it’s understood that members of the force are entitled to adopt a discretionary approach to traffic laws in the course of carrying out their duties. On this basis, Mr Ahern or his Garda drivers are not committing any offence.
But while Mr Ahern’s State car is seemingly free to park with impunity, there were calls this week for him to lead by example and only use the secure parking space available at the rear of his office. In particular, he was asked to be mindful of the number of visually impaired people in the Drumcondra area.
St Joseph’s Centre for the Visually Impaired is located nearby on Grace Park Road. In addition, the head office of the National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is on Whitworth Road.
Independent TD Finian McGrath said the former Taoiseach needs to “think again” about his current parking arrangements.
“It’s simply not acceptable, particularly for our visually impaired people around Drumcondra,” Deputy McGrath said. “We can’t have one law for politicians and another for the rest of society.
“If any other Northsider parked like that they would be clamped on the spot.”
Mr McGrath called on Deputy Ahern not to park on the footpath in future and urged him to use the car park at the back of St Luke’s at all times.
“If there are security or safety issues for Mr Ahern, they can be resolved with some common sense,” he added. “But let’s be good neighbours to the visually impaired.”
Des Kenny, chief executive of the National Council for the Blind of Ireland, said he was “disappointed” to learn that Mr Ahern’s State car had been parked in such a manner given the high number of people in the area with visual impairment.
However, he stressed that his organisation had not received any specific complaint relating to Bertie Ahern’s State car. He also acknowledged that the section of footpath at St Luke’s was quite wide.
“I would make a distinction between his car being parked outside his office for a couple of minutes if his driver was still at the wheel,” said Mr Kenny. “In such circumstances the driver could move the car at short notice, if required, or even alert a visually impaired person approaching.”
Mr Kenny added that it would be preferable if Bertie Ahern could “set a good example” by only parking at the rear of St Luke’s.
“I think it is also only fair to recognise the good work that Mr Ahern has done in the past for both of these organisations [NCBI and St Joseph’s Centre for the Visually Impaired],” he said.
When contacted for comment, a spokesperson for the former Taoiseach stated: “Drivers are in and out throughout the day as Mr Ahern operates a very busy schedule. The car is regularly parked at the rear of the building. However, on the rare occasion that it is parked at the front, the footpath is never blocked and there is no pedestrian crossing at St Luke's being hampered.”
This is just the latest controversy to centre on Bertie Ahern’s use of a State car – reported to cost the taxpayer a whopping E84,000 a year.
His recent appearance in a television commercial for a British tabloid newspaper caused public and political outrage, leading to calls for the removal of some of the privileges he enjoys as a former Taoiseach, including his use of a State car.
Fine Gael has recently indicated that it would remove the automatic right to a full-time State car for all former Taoisigh if it gets into power
Sinn Fein vice president, Mary Lou McDonald, condemned the fact that the former Taoiseach was still afforded the use of a State car.
“Bertie’s actions and his continued use of the State car is indefensible,” she told Northside People.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous that former Taoisigh have drivers and cars at their disposal when the country’s finances are in the state they are in.
“I cannot understand how he would think it is acceptable to be travelling around in a luxury car at the expense of taxpayers who are struggling to pay their electricity bills, not to mention their mortgages and car loans.
“The people at the top need to lead by example so what message is the former Taoiseach sending out?”
Posted by Down With That Sort Of Thing at 5:40 AM